In advancing the mission "to advocate for clinical legal education," CLEA serves as a voice for clinical teachers and represents their interests inside and outside the academy.” As such, CLEA has been a vigorous advocate on matters relating to clinical teachers and clinical legal education over the years.
ABA TASK FORCE ON THE FUTURE OF LEGAL EDUCATION
CLEA's comment to the ABA Task Force on the Future of Legal Education (June 2013)
ABA ACCREDITATION STANDARDS
CLEA plays a constant role monitoring and commenting on matters relevant to professors who teach in clinics and skills courses taken up by the ABA Section on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar, its Council, its Standards Review Committee, and other relevant bodies. The current standards for approval of law schools can be found at this site. Below are filings on CLEA’s behalf:
Curriculum & Outcome Measures
Academic Freedom and Security of Position
Standard Allowing Proposals for Amendments to the Standards
to the SRC regarding failure to provide any notice for proposed elimination of Standard 803(d) (Feb. 2014)
Bar Passage Requirements (Std. 301-6)
Accreditation of Foreign Law Schools
BRIEFS AND OTHER ADVOCACY
CLEA prepares amicus briefs and other advocacy documents on matters relevant to clinical legal education and the professors who teach in clinical courses:
- CLEA submitted comment on the Bar Admission Skills Competency Proposal of the New York Court of Appeals Task Force on Experiential Learning and Admission to the Bar (November 9, 2015).
- CLEA's letter regarding proposal that New York State adopt the Uniform Bar Exam (UBE). And follow-up letter.
- CLEA's Amicus Brief regarding EAJA fees in Veteran's cases
CLEA's Report to ABA Council (Dec. '14)
CLEA’s comment on the Phase II Implementing Recommendations of the California Task Force on Admissions Regulation (September 11, 2014)
CLEA's letter to the California State Bar Regulation, Admissions and Discipline Committee regarding the final report of the Task Force on Admissions Regulation Reform (September 5, 2013).
- CLEA's letter to John Streeter, Chairman of California State Bar Task Force on Admissions Regulations Reform (June 10, 2013)
- CLEA's second comment to the California State Bar Task Force on Admissions Regulations Reform (May 30, 2012)
- CLEA's comments to California State Bar Task Force on Admissions Regulations Reform (April 17, 2012)
- CLEA's comments to the Department of Education's National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity, concerning the American Bar Association Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admission to the Bar's Petition for Renewal of Recognition (June 2011).
- Legislative Threat Against Louisiana Clinical Programs: CLEA Letter (May 2010)
- Legislative Threat Against Univ. of Maryland Clinical Program: CLEA Statement (Mar. 2010)
- Sussex Commons v. Rutgers (application of public records act to law clinic files):
- NJ Sup Court Amicus Brief (Dec. 2010)
- Appellate Court Amicus Brief (May 2009)
- Trial Court Opinion (N.J. Superior Ct., Oct. 2008)
- Trial Court Amicus Brief (May 2008)
- Wishnatsky v. Rovner (challenge to right of clinic to choose clients and cases)
- 8th Circuit Amicus Brief (Dec. 2004)
- District Court Amicus Brief (May 2004)
- North Dakota Attorney General Op. (2003-L-42, Sept. 2003)
- Comments to North Dakota Attorney General (Sept. 2003)
- Lousiana Student Practice Rule (La. Sup. Ct. restrictions on student practice)
- 5th Circuit Amicus Brief (Jan. 2000)
- District Court Amicus Brief (1999)
- Press Release & Complaint (Apr. 1999)
- Comments to La. Supreme Court (Dec. 1997)
- Palm v. Univ. of Chicago: Amicus Brief (Mar. 2008)